Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Sailing from Llewellyn

Scarce had I finished my previous entry when behold!, Alarums and Excursions on Silver Rose, the which is understandable in honor of their recent visitor, and also on Prosperity, rather less so, but with both vessels indulging in much marching of marines, lowering of boats, and making of sail, and Govan being conveyed back with haste to his own Vessel. And then, to our great Astonishment came two Dwarven war galleys, low and lean, past the Mole and bearing down on Silver Rose. As our jolly boat was by now close aboard Prosperity, I gave to Davon the Fisherman certain messages to return to Peony and Violet when he alighted ashore, and further, I passed the word for our Cook, the dwarf  Gunther, to come on deck, for, not knowing why the Dwarves were out in force, but desiring to encourage them in whatever Mischief they meant against Silver Rose, I spake with Gunther, whence he called across the water to remind his Cousins that Sanremi traffics with the accursed drow, which information I had that very afternoon imparted to Harda, as I have written before. Yet the war galleys did not strike, mayhap from confusion and some vile Sorcery, for I saw an evil and unnatural Fire kindled in the stern of one galley, the which caused much dismay amongst her crew.  Nonetheless Silver Rose dared not set out her boats, but only maneuvered with sweeps, which did profit her but little against the tide; while Prosperity's boats did, with much labor, tow her from the Harbor and to seaward, until she was able to catch the wind--a matter of some hours, but I, while at the tiller, did produce a song, which I shall call The Jolly Oarsman, and the same amused the men greatly, as well as keeping them on their timing, but would have Fra Veritan in a dead faint, an he were to hear it, which I hope he shall not.

At last returning from longboat unto Prosperity, I reported to the Great Cabin and gave the Captain what loot I had gathered. Of great interest was a Letter, written under the hand of Sanremi, to instruct Captain Govan to join with a second ship, the Courser, in supposition that she is now cruizing off the Isle of Ketabet, and in her company to take Prosperity, and to dispose of  prisoners in any manner Convenient. Captain Garrity was not as surprised  at this News as one might have expected, and says that we must indeed sail near this Ketabet, but that Courser is not about, and he hopes that we can outrun Silver Rose as he is not presently minded to spend the time necessary to Take her. I perceive some deep game is being played here, and could Wish that the Captain had told me more, before I went aboard Silver Rose, that I might more Effectually have discomfited her, but doubtless he had his reasons.

After midnight, found I our good Captain Grayson watching at my door, he said in ward of temptation, which puzzled me, yet in a moment all was revealed, for in my cabin was a cask of dwarven ale.
Atop it were two letter, the first, being a note from Govan's swordswoman, Jessa, to inform me that It is rude to keep a lady waiting. Which made me laugh, for tis true enough, but methinks she is no lady; and one day I may be able to tell her, albeit likely at swords point, that I indeed called upon the Silver Rose ths e'en, but did not find her there. The second, was a summons to the High Hall in Llewellyn, on charges of defamation and corruption of kin, filed by Hobart Waringford, father of Peony. This also made me laugh, for I neither defamed nor corrupted, love not being any corruption, and privily Peony no blushing maiden neither, but rather bold as brass, and indeed  it occurred to me, that perhaps Master Hobart was able so swiftly to transact this summons, because he has much practice of her. Yet despite the folly, in my eyes,  of the charge, I know I must deal with it, or avoid Llewellyn henceforth entire. I suppose I must consult the Captain on it.
The ale I suppose must have come at Harda's orders, although I know not why, nor what service I have done him. There is a slate with dwarven runes on it, which I cannot read; perhaps on the morrow Gunther will aid me, or Fra Veritan. Verily, I know many will be willing to aid me in the drinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment